WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

Combined Section Guidelines

Crosslisted Courses


Crosslisted courses are those that are offered under two or more subjects.  Crosslisted courses always have a department that is the owner or parent of the course.  The parent department has the primary authority for the course, including the authority to request changes through the curriculum approval process.  All other subjects that are crosslisted with the parent course are referred to as child courses.

The department that has primary authority for the course (the parent department) has the authority to determine whether a crosslisted course will be offered in any given term.  If it will be scheduled, the parent department will coordinate with the other departments to open sections.


Historically, if a crosslisted course was scheduled, all subjects were required to be scheduled.  However, this has presented a challenge for the other campuses which may not offer one of the subjects that are represented in the crosslisting.  For instance, Vancouver may never teach courses under the subject AFS, so requiring them to do so is confusing for students.

Scheduling Guidelines

All subjects in the crosslisting should be scheduled, except when a campus doesn’t offer a subject (as in the case of Vancouver not offering AFS courses). 

  • Reasoning: The catalog needs to be a document that students and advisors find reliable. If students see a course in the catalog and then can’t find the course in the Schedule of Classes, there would be nothing to point the student to search under the other subject. The student may miss out on taking a class that he or she needs if it is “sometimes crosslisted.”
  • Having all subjects scheduled for crosslisted courses helps keep the course information current as well. When a course is no longer functioning in a crosslisted manner (e.g., the parent department no longer wants the crosslisting), then there is a scheduling reminder to drop the subject that should not be part of the crosslisting.

Classes must be scheduled at the same time and in the same room since they are functioning as the same course.

  • If a crosslisted class is cancelled, ALL offerings of the class must be cancelled.

Conjoint Courses

Conjoint courses are those that have been approved by the Faculty Senate to allow both a 400-level and 500-level offering of the same class to be scheduled.

Scheduling Guidelines:

Both the 400- and 500-level should be scheduled according to the policy from the Educational Policies and Procedures Manual:

  • Exception: A campus doesn’t offer graduate-level courses
  • Reasoning: Scheduling both the 400- and 500-level offerings maintains catalog integrity, ensuring that there is reliability and truth in advertising for courses approved for conjoint status.

If one class is cancelled, both the 400- and the 500-level must be cancelled.

Exception Process for Combined Sections

Departments may occasionally wish to teach two different courses at the same time in order to meet particular pedagogical goals.  Because there is already a formal process for combining courses (through the crosslisted or conjoint designations approved by the Faculty Senate), these occasional requests to combine courses must be approved by exception.  Approved exceptions will be on a one-time basis, for one term.


  • The courses that are to be combined must carry the same grade type and credit hours. For variable credit courses, both sections must be set to the same value.
  • If the courses approved to be combined are Special Topics courses, then the combined class sections will carry the same title.
  • Courses may not be combined across careers.
  • Lower-division courses may not be combined with upper-division courses.
  • Courses numbered 499, 600, 700, 701, 702, and 800 may not be combined with any other course number since these are independent study courses and do not have a scheduled meeting time or location.

Requesting a Combined Section Exception

  • Submit a Memo with signatures from all chairs and deans that makes the request to combine class sections. Combining across departments or colleges will require the signature of all chairs and deans.
  • Memo should include
    • Rationale for this exception.
    • Course Subject(s) number(s) and section number(s)
  • Requests to combine Undergraduate or Professional courses should be submitted to Blaine Golden at the Registrar’s Office.
  • Requests to combine Graduate courses should be submitted to the Dean of the Graduate School.
Combined Section Guidelines
Academic Room Scheduling